Monday, October 3, 2011

WILD Part 1 (or what I did over the summer)

With this paragraph I am punching my virtual shyness in the face and sharing some of my, gasp, work in progress. It's something I've been wanting to do here, and it occurs to me that this is my space to do as I please. Oh. So without ado, hemming and hawing or apologetic explanations, I jump in...

Over the last two years, I've been making a duet, a dance film set in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Something I'm calling "wild" or possibly "wild ____ yonder." These photos here are of the incomparable Erika Hansen, longtime New Yorker, dear friend, and my dancer for this project. Erika and I were rehearsing, traipsing through the park on a late spring day when green was still new and summer spread out before us, as it does, in a way that feels like forever but hardly ever is. The sight of Erika dancing against the green of the pond was something to savor. Few can rock sunglasses while flailing and burning through my kind of moving madness like she can.

The dancing part of this project is done, but the film editing has just begun. I am belatedly chronically the making of this work, but I want to hold myself more accountable for the editing by posting some of my stages/growing pains here. I also have many more folks to thank/celebrate here for their efforts towards this project. Coming soon.

And now? Erika and I are simultaneously embarking on new life adventures. She's off to Minneapolis and I'm freshly in Lewes, Delaware. I realize I haven't mentioned that yet, but HERE I AM, I LIVE HERE! (more on that change as well). As we learn to move and breathe and swim in our new towns, I want to take this moment and offer my gratitude to Erika for continually saying "yes" to all stages of this project and for her beautifully nuanced, yes-fueled performance. Although the Prospect Park version of this piece is on tap to become a film, I hope the two of us can revive this piece live in some wild new spots. We are taking suggestions.

Anyway, look at her go.



















No comments:

Post a Comment