Tuesday, April 16, 2013

continue inviting people to intimate spaces and do brave things


In the after space, in the place where we are post, in the time following dark-hearted deeds, there is a massive, incomprehensible and indescribable chaos. We want answers, we want reasons, we want names and we want exceptions to what seems like the ruling force of darkness. 

In these times of aftermath, in the space inside our grief, while we are lost in the senselessness, we feebly share stories and we hopefully hear voices. We hear the courageous voices of comfort. We see those seeking the light in a dim room with heavy hearts. We find those who are pointing out the helpers. 

Today, my heart is with Boston.

Yesterday afternoon, as I felt the familiar rise of anxiety in my heart and the bursts of anger and outrage and adrenaline fatigue on facebook, I had to take a step back. I felt a wave of gratitude to be alive. And I felt grateful to have the opportunity to walk down the beautiful streets in my lovely town with my soulful and bright-spirited dog, Etta. The walking, the movement gave rise to a thought...

Continue inviting people to intimate spaces and do brave things.

That is our gift. As teachers. As artists. As conversationalists. As friends. As family. As human beings. Instead of closing off, we go deeper. We hug closer. We stay and listen. This work matters. This work is real. This work is a simple chat, a shared dance, a piece of theater in a darkened space with long-reaching, light-filled tentacles.

Walking, I wondered how to approach my evening yoga class. I was scheduled to teach at 7pm. I wasn't sure how to proceed. I knew soft, quiet, non-intrusive music was part of the answer. I knew I didn't want to go on a tirade or step onto a high horse or force a mood or preach. I wouldn't know what to say. I also don't know where people are coming from, what they know and what they feel. That's something that is always unknown coming in to a class. All I could do was be with my students, hold the space, make them feel safe and breathe. I decided to offer my phrase a few times throughout: "continue inviting people to intimate space and do brave things." One woman, almost in tears, thanked me. It was just what she needed. Me, too.

With open-ended gratitude for today, 
Jen(ny)


No comments:

Post a Comment