Friday, April 19, 2013

when in doubt, reach out.


When it feels like there is nothing to say and nothing to do, elementary school kids always know best. I have had the honor of teaching for an after-school theater arts program at H.O. Brittingham Elementary, a program headed up by the ever-reaching-out Clear Space Theater. The amazing kids at this school are bright, funny, sweet, curious and brave as all get-out, especially when they step up to the mic, spout out their lines, sing like angels and dance like there's no where else to be. My subconscious must have know there was a good reason to be cleaning up my desktop this morning, despite an unruly laundry list of things to do (laundry included). I guess I needed something to soothe my searching, anxious mind today. I stumbled upon this group poem I had saved a while back. It was written by Mrs. Van Rees’s fourth grade class.

Thanks, you wise and wonderful kids, for sharing your voice. A nice reminder that we all have one.
MY VOICE

My voice is like a good luck charm
And an imaginary forest

And a theory about happiness.

My voice is like lights beneath the water
And the light of snow
And like an ocean of grass.

My voice echoes in an empty movie theater.
It is like a dark list of random objects.
It is also like waking dreams.




No comments:

Post a Comment