Thursday, February 24, 2011

cacti on the move


Reach out into space. It'll hold you up, if you let it.


Crawl out of and into improbable places. Bask. Repeat.


These prickly pics were taken in the Cactus Garden on the island of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands. The garden, full of unexpectedly personable creatures, was designed by César Manrique, an artist and architect whose work was and is a major influence on Lanzarote. I came across these photos in my archive and they made me smile, and so did all the shots of Manrique's signs for restrooms. Choosing between the mens' room and the ladies' room has never been so fun. Come on in, the water's fine!


Inching towards Spring. Slowly. Putting on my coat/sweater/hat/scarf/gloves 15 times a day to let Etta the Puppy out is wearing on my appreciation of brisk winter days. I'm now looking for warm weather moves of all kinds. Hopefully soon I can get out my green-painted roller skates and start up another little video series about skating in awkward places around the neighborhood. I'll call it, "Skate in Strange Places." Or "Skate Around A-Rama." Or "Skirt Skate" (where I sport a different skirt in each video, of course). "Free Skate"? No. Clearly I need a good name for this series. Taking suggestions. Anyway. Cacti. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment