Tuesday, February 22, 2011

breathing #1 (inchworm)

Behold. Breathing! Below you will find the first edition of a new video series here on grin bear move. In four words, it's all about breathing. Sit back. Relax. You've got a front row seat to some humbly-filmed breathing/moving demonstrations. Watch me run at the mouth a bit, then please do try this at home! Your thoughts, feelings and feedback are most welcome.

As you can see, I love breathing big. Ribs expand to skin expands to world. Truth is, I’ve always been a breather. Can’t help it. You, too? Yeah. Breathing.  Mmm. Just comes naturally. In, out, all that. And, of course, I breathe while I’m dance-dance-dancing…or I’d fall over. But I fell lungs-over-diaphragm for breathing when I began studying yoga thirteen (yikes!) years ago. To me yoga is a celebration of breath; we move because we breathe. A purposeful attention of breath has cultivated in me an insatiable curiosity and intense joy in moving.

This video series stems from my child-like explorations and is meant to be a light-hearted ode to (whoosh!)  breathing. And with it comes deep gratitude to J. Brown at Abhyasa Yoga Center for his incredible insight and inspiring outlook. His teaching remains a cornerstone of my practice and my own teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment